Friday, June 6, 2008

Funky Friday - Cheesy Wotsits

It's guest blogger time again - and today it's the turn of Piley from Start The Revolution Without Me who's
testing the cleverness of your clogs by dishing up three mystery chunks of cheese and asking - can you unmask the artists? ....


Before I start, I'd just like to say a big thank you to Planet Mondo for asking me to be guest blogger this week, a great honour, especially on the now legendary Funky Friday…

Although my main music obsessions have always been on an indy/punky kinda vibe, I've always had a soft spot for a bit of the ‘ol easy listening. This is due in no small part to the kind of stuff my parents used to play ‘when I were a lad’.

So back in the early to mid-90s, I was delighted when the 'cheesy listening' phenomenon hit the clubs, and it always brought a smile to my face to see the uber-cool Britpop kids grooving on down to the likes of Alan Hawkshaw, Tony Hatch, Bert Kaempfert and The Button Down Brass (featuring of course, the funky trumpet of Ray Davies). Yet when some of these kids wandered off to the DJ booth to find out what they'd just been dancing to, you could see the disappointment in their faces, which is a shame, coz a quality tune is a quality tune right?

So, with the above in mind, I've selected three tracks from the Piley vaults -- all lovingly brought into the 21st century from my vinyl originals. However, I'm not telling you who these tracks are by… not yet anyway!

For the moment, just enjoy these three cool nuggets - and see if you can guess who the artists are. (Mondo’ll give you the answers in a few days time.

Amazingly pop pickers, this trio of mystery artists has been unmasked in one day (see the comments for the scores on the doors) - so here is the gallery of groovers..

Cheesy Wotsit Number 1

'I'm Coming Home Baby' - Peters and Lee




Cheesy Wotsit Number 2

'The Party' - Henry Mancini




Cheesy Wotsit Number 3

'Happy Brasilia' - James Last



In the meantime, if these tracks have given you the buzz to hear some classic lounge-i-fied cover versions, why not pop over to my place, where 'CHEESE' is very much on the menu this week -- and I've just served up three very big MP3 slices of the stuff!

Piley

20 comments:

ally. said...

flippin eck that happy brasillia was a big giles peterson dingwalls on a sunday afternoon tune but i've forgotten who it is - bugger
the party is john barry or henry mancini or someone isn't it ?
and the comin home baby is a wonderful mystery.
where do i swipe my nerd card ?

ps the show i most wish i'd seen ever almost was tony bennett at indigo at madame jo jos at the height of all the loungecore doodah - he just turned up after a big do in town with his pianist and wowed the crowd. and i missed it.

x

Cocktails said...

Excellent selection. 'The Party' ST is definitely Henry Mancini, but I'm not sure if that's the original.

Happy Brasilia is a (usually very dodgy) James Last tune isn't it...

No, idea about the other one but it's great!

Mondo said...

Ally - Gigs I missed that would be a great thread/blog bit - John Martyn was mine, I saw a poster for him 'Live In Southend' was all buzzed up for it - then found I'd missed it by a week. Ho Hom.

Cocktails - both good guesses, but I'll let Piley do the final unmasking/scores on the doors

BLTP said...

Is it Roland Shaw? I only say this I read about him the other day.. By sunday there should be something "easy" to listen to on my site

Suzy Norman said...

Good idea for a post. But attempt to guess I will not, not after last time, when I scored 0 out of 10, right PM? Really like the first track though.

Piley said...

looks like i've been rumbled on one or two already! However for full marks you really need to get the 1st one too!

on the missed gigs front, i hate it when you look back at peoples careers to see thay played pretty much in your back yard... e.g. Bowie played Basildon and the Who played in Hadleigh a few times!!! mad!

Piley

Clair said...

Watch your hit counter rise! Just heard Steve Lamaq give you a namecheck on 6 Music!

Mondo said...

Thanks for the tip Claire - I'll have to work out that listen again malarkey..

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... regarding 'I'm Comin' Home', the name Peters & Lee springs to mind. Only an educated guess, though. Am I right? What's the prize?? ;-)

Mondo said...

So the final countdown

Ally - top work,
'The Party' - Henry Mancini

Cocktails - amazing .
'The Party' - Henry Mancini
'Happy Brasilia' - James Last

Anonymous Andy - how did you know that one?
'I'm Comin' Home' - Peters & Lee

There are no losers here you've all won a trip to Piley's Swinging Pad for some more cheesy chunks and covers

Piley said...

I thought Peters n Lee would take a little longer to crack, top marks Andy!! (is that Andy from MySpace Andy?).

Peters and Lee seemed to be on Opportunity Knocks every week for years! yet always seemed incredibly naff.

Lennie Peters (who was blind since the age of 16) died in 1993 (age 53) but Dianne Lee is still about, and incredibly is still only in her 50's!

Cocktails said...

Peters and Lee? Peters and Lee!!! Of 'Welcome Home' fame?!

Well, I guess I shouldn't be too suprised...

Excellent choice of tunes there Piley. And perhaps the Mondo namecheck means that Steve Lamacq is secretly into Peters and Lee and James Last? Nice.

Anonymous said...

Yep Piley, it's me :-) It struck me towards the end of the first play of 'I'm Comin' Home' that it might be Peters & Lee, although I must admit it was a total guess. Didn't have a clue about the other two tracks though!

Simon said...

Great little post. However, even though I'm partial to a bit of easy to pin the ole lug-oles back to, I can't bring myself to a point where Peters And Lee get on my playlist. I hated them when I was a kid. I think he scared me!

Mondo said...

Simon I know what you mean about Peters and Lee, and none of their tunes would normally would get me shaking a leg - but that's the fun, finding the funky golden nuggets in the usually cosy catalogue from easy artists (and remember the tune here is 'I'm Coming Home' not 'Welcome Home') Shirley Bassey, Tom Jones and even Brotherhood Of Man all have some real stompers buried away.

Have a peep at some of these tunes too

Mae West and Peggy Lee


Elkie Brooks and David Essex

Piley said...

That's it cmpletely Mondo - and why I wanted to initially post the tracks without the artists... seeing the name Peters & Lee would put you off before you start, but there is almost an 'ignorance is bliss' feel about it when you don't know!!!

P
(of course when you DO find out, you feel all dirty and self loathing!!! )

Axe Victim said...

Excelelnt gust slot Mr. P. One of my all time favorite cheesy nuggets is 'Basie Plays Bond' in which the Count incredibly works his way through an albums worth of James Bond film themes. It's Monteray Jack through and through.

marmiteboy said...

Lennie Peter's had a great voice and come have made amazing records given the right material. Not that what he did do was terrible.

Piley said...

Mondo are you sure you've got the right track up on the Mae West DL??!!

It's bloody awful!! It stars off with some cringe-making dialogue then goes into a song sounding much like the Benny HIll theme!! (naked ape?). Was well up for the GBOF, which i vaguely remember hearing once...

P

Mondo said...

P - well spotted, don't know how that oddity got in - anyway the real GBOF is there now and here too