Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Before They Were Famous


After a summer break, Piley and I are finally getting back to some semi-serious podding about tonight, selecting songs themed around: obscure originals made famous as covers. Plenty to choose from, but only ten tunes can make the final playlist. Hey Joe had been one of my five, until another garage nugg' popped into play giving it the bounce.



The Leaves - Hey Joe

I wouldn't be surprised to discover, Bowie being the Artful Dodger of pop that he is, cribbed some Leave's riffery to underpin this early doors Dame ditty



P.S. Suggestions and guesses are always welcome

6 comments:

Matthew Rudd said...

That original folky, acoustic, busker, homeless version of Ray of Light. Don't know if it's to your taste, Mondo, but for Madonna to cover a song written by a London plucker who was living in a squat is a great story.

Mondo said...

Do you know, I knew about the early versh, but hadn't actually heard it Matt. Winner - it's in ta for the tip

John Medd said...

One that springs to mind is Anthony Newley's Feeling Good. Later made massive by Nina Simone. Newley penned it as awell.

Mondo said...

Never knew that was a Newley tune - having said that I only found out earlier this year he wrote Goldfinger.

Furtheron said...

I was going to say Feeling Good - my fav version is Joe Bonamassa's one

Mondo said...

A few people have recommended Joe Bonamassa to me F-Ron, any tips where to start?