Friday, November 26, 2010

Dear Diary - November

Four song references scribbled around this pic' - can you get them all?

There's almost no greater spectator sport for a schoolboy than a bundle between your same-year peers (with the chants of 'fight, fight, fight, fight' ringing round and about) - better yet, when it's the unlikeliest of scrappers having a bash. And if this isn't robust enough, it's a double bill of bracket-punching in one day (28th) as Colbert (a Spaghetti Western drifter type) Vs Nelly (a sort of Gok Wan of our year) and Huggins (small with huge eyelashes) Vs Neary (rugger~team lump).

In other news, our frisky friend from over the road (LOTR) continues to put the 'goods on the barrow' with her free-wheeling liberated ways (28th) and Ye Olde Stereogram gets moved from the front room to my bedroom. Although it seems I jumped the gun slightly by adding The Stranglers to October's playlist when plainly it's November (24th). If you fancy a peep November '79 charts looked this


The Undertones - You've Got My Number



Couple of deviations and variants from the usual vinyl rips - just for this month

The Damned - it's the rare radio edit of 'Happy Today' instead of the standard single edish.

The Damned - I Just Can't Be Happy Today (Radio Edit)



The Undertones - instead the fine refit of Let's Talk About Girls B-siding 'Number' let's hear the Chocolate Watch orig'

The Chocolate Watch Band - Let's Talk About Girls



If you haven't seen it, The Damned's appearance on OGWT is a career highlight for both show and band.



The Cross and The Switchblade (14th)  was shown in a local church hall to warn corruptible teens about the perils of peer pressure, gangs, drugs.....  for us it was a free film, an evening in the warm and something with Poncho from CHips in...

12 comments:

davyh said...

Another three days off 'sick' I see Mond: and bless, you seem to have been especially dogged with illness on Mondays...

Mondo said...

Unfortunately the 'Monday' gene seems to have been passed to my eldest Davy - we regularly get woeful voices and claims of 'feel sick' and 'tired' on a Monday. PS - I think the 30th is a sickie too. Outrageous.

davyh said...

I blame the parents.

Anonymous said...

'Bullet hole' has given me a proper good giggle :-)

Mondo said...

Where's the 'bullet hole'? Is it in the Switchblade clip? I haven't watched the full thing..

Anonymous said...

written on the calendar...directed at his lovely dimple!

Kolley Kibber said...

I loved the thoughtfully observed 'bullet hole' too... and haven't heard 'hello ducky/you'll be lucky' for many a year (PP actually 'wasn't', was he?).

I hope the Damned didn't prompt your first existential crisis with their song. But I bet a good fight bucked you out of it sharpish.

Mondo said...

Yes of course I see now - in case you can't make it out the top pic handle out of his head reads 'Acme Mops'..

I think it may have been a lavender marriage to Anthea I'm sure FC could confirm though. Hello Ducky that's one of the four song ref's in the pic - and taken from this tune. I'd hate to think how - to you as a Mental Health professional - these doodlings read

Piley said...

lovely stuff Mond! I got taken to the Cross and the Switchblade at a local church too!! Must have been doing the rounds that one...

Am in the middle of a huge de-clutter\strip down at the mo, and yesterday came across my diary from 1977! I lost interest after a few short months, but filled it in every day for a bit. May have to shamelessly nick your idea an post em (not as good as yours though)

Kolley Kibber said...

Your doodles are a lot less 'troubling' than some of the stuff coming out of my own head at that age, Mondo ('Mr Eyeball - he's just an eyeball full of fun' was one of my more worrying characters). I might work up the courage for a post sometime (but on the other hand...).

I'd be grateful if someone could clear up the PP Marriage Controversy Probe.

Kolley Kibber said...

PS - Hubby loves this! Especially as, on November 1 as you were going to Leigh, he was going to his first ever gig ( The Stranglers at The Rainbow)!

Mondo said...

Ours shown was at this place the local Methodist church on Chapel Lane. How about you? 77 diary got to be worth punting in the blog P.

The doodles have got to be bloggy gold ISB,Stranglers at The Rainbow, sounds right up my King's Road - who was on support? My first gig appears in next year's diary (still not sure whether to blog this or not)