Friday, January 23, 2009

Funky Friday - Watching The Detectives (UK)

For a full list of 'Letraset Super Action Transfers' click here

While sprouting from tot-to-teen during the seventies, I was a terror for TV Detectives - both the US variety covered (here), and the Brit-Cop shows that employed an almost off-the-peg parade of villainy..

Rough stuff street toughs
Hi-Tech International Terrorism
Corrupt Senior Civil Servants
Crooked Aristocrats in country houses and/or golf clubs (usually Stoke Park - a Goldfinger location)


I've still got my pick 'n 'mix library of original crimebusting Annuals stored in the loft, collecting together - The Persuaders,The Protectors,The Professionals, The Sweeney (surely The Sweeney were a bit too rough and ready for an Annual readers catchment audience) and The New Avengers..

Laurie Johnson's New Avengers (a flared and swishy refit of his sixties original), is surely the template tune for almost every Acid Jazz track, and gets worked over here by Southend's very own Snowboy...

Snowboy - The New Avengers Theme



Another Laurie Johnson anthem, and perhaps the greatest car-crashing-glass-smashing action theme ever.. - shouldn't Lewis Collins really have been the follow-on-Bond from Roger Moore?

The Professionals



Finally, can you decode this mystery title tune - and work out which show it's from??



The inner spread of The New Avengers Transfer set seems to be based on Heatherden Hall, part of the Pinewood Film Studios - which appears in The New Avengers, The Professionals, The Persuaders, UFO and Space 1999

19 comments:

davyh said...

It is also Truly Scrumptious's house in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!!! Tip top posting Mond, comme toujours.

Mondo said...

Merci - Davy, any clue-seaus on the mystery theme?

PS - have a peep at the Letraset Transfers site you'll love it

Mondo said...

Oh, and the Heatherden Hall gardens appear in The Goodies - the one with a giant Dougal

davyh said...

No, I can't make your DivShare player thingies work!

davyh said...

Oh, that's weird. I use Firefox and nada, but I've just gone in via IE and they work OK.

I KNOW that theme tune but stone me if I can think of what it's from.

Clue?

Mondo said...

Yes, I have a bit of Firefox agg' with Divvyshare and Youtube -

Hhmmmm a clue..well, it was a show within a show if that helps - the downloads here if you fancy a copy (ignore the title)

http://www.divshare.com/direct/6363298-3fd.mp3

Cocktails said...

They just don't make TV theme tunes like they used to..

That Diana Ross album is ace by the way - thanks for the tip.

Istvanski said...

This lot are a good laugh too.

Anonymous said...

Is it something from the Two Ronnies? Charlie Farley and (something I can't quite remember!)

Andrew

Mondo said...

This is an obscure TV classic Cocktails, John Barry - Orson Welles Great Mysteries (glad you like the Diana album , it's a pech isn't it)

They look right up my retro ally IV, and all the clobber too..

Well deduced Andrew Anon - it is from The Two Ronnies Charlie Farley and Piggy Malone - who I think were parodied in Krazy comic for a while

davyh said...

DOH!

Mondo said...

There you go - I knew you'd know it..

Keith said...

Wow. I love those tunes. The New Avengers one is really cool. Never saw that show though. One show from back then I did love was the Persuaders.

rockmother said...

Ooooooh transfers. Transfers! TRANSFERS!!! and Letraset!!! My mum was/is an illustrator and she had so much Letraset in the 70's/80's - I was the school Letraset queen. Do you remember putting transfers on your arms and trying not to get them wet in the bath? Thank you Mondo - I want to gove you a big hearty hug xx

rockmother said...

I mean 'give'!

Mondo said...

I loved loved loved Transfers Romo - I think the very first set I had was a boat being attacked by a whale! And how cool to have an illustrator mum -my on-the-skin sort always cracked or went on wonky though..

Fill your boots with this gallery of goodies


Ahhh The Persudars - so cool Keith, Tony Curtis wore some great gear including those gloves with cut out knuckles

BLTP said...

Transfers rule! I had stacks of them custer last stand , the battle of britain, waterloo if it was violent we had them!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.